Behind the blog:
The West Midlands Police Museum originated in 1964 at Tally Ho! as a Birmingham City Police training aid and grew into a public accessible museum at Sparkhill Police Station which opened around 1995. Several of the exhibits had originated from the old Forensic Science Service laboratory when it moved from Newton Street to Gooch Street.
A separate smaller site in Coventry was opened in Coventry Central Police Station 1959 and celebrates the history of Coventry City Police - which existed between 1839 & 1969, before becoming part of Warwickshire and Coventry Constabulary and in 1974, West Midlands Police.
The Sparkhill site contains items of policing memorabilia and old records from the West Midlands Police predecessor forces of Birmingham City Police, Walsall Borough Police, Dudley Borough Police, Wolverhampton Borough Police and West Midlands Constabulary. Some records are also held of Staffordshire County Police and Worcestershire officers as parts of those forces now fall within the West Midlands Police area.
The site at Sparkhill is shut at present whilst preparations are made to relocate to the Lock-up on Steelhouse Lane. You can follow this blog and @WMPHistory on Twitter and Facebook for updates on the plans for relocation and confirmation of when the new site will open.
It is still possible to visit the Coventry museum and searches of the records at the Sparkhill site can be carried out following an e-mail request in to the museum.
We have been successful with a National Lottery Heritage Bid and will be posting about redevelopment of the Lock-up site on this website and on social media.